Friday, February 5, 2010

Media

Over the past week my eyes were opened to a different side of the media. Most people are exposed to many advertisements a day and don't really take a good look to see what they truely have to say. On Tuesday we watched a video exposing the sexist side of advertisements. It showed all the ads that portray women as objects and showed men being overpowering to the women. These ads are mostly ment to catch the male eye. Then in the video they brought up an excellent point. Males would never be advertised the way women are. There is a higher standard for women in today's society, then there is men. For most women they are vulnerable to these ads and feel they need to fit the mold of the super models.

7 comments:

  1. I think that males could be advertised as women are, but a totally different message would be taken much differently. for example, the doulche and gabana ad where the girl was half naked on the floor with men all around her, she looked like she was being taken advantage of, but if you reverse this and have a man on the ground half naked with girls all around him people think, they're prostitutes, or he's gettin it tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that women are being advertised in a different and more wrongful way, but I think some men see all the ad's of beautiful women on guys that are all buffed up. Some men may feel the same way some girls do, that they need to lose a lot of weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right to point out the double-standards that exist for men and women in society...and advertising. Sarah makes a great point in her example of the Dolce and Gabana ad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women are being advertised in a bad way. Young girls see models in magazines and on TV and think that they need to look like them I think its wrong to portray women like this, it is disrespectful. I also think its wrong that it is only women who are being portrayed this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree..my eyes have been opened to i have been showin my friends and everything! its soemthing how women are so down played in the media.but we are the ones that keep the world turning..just think a world with out the knowledge of women..nothing would be possible..may sound extreme..but wat would you do with out your mother...??

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I watched the Super Bowl today, my eyes were open and I have also realized the amount of sexual advertisements in commercials in this day. There were a few that surpised me, and all I could think of was what Bell Hooks said about women being portrayed as sexual objects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your post. While watching the Superbowl, there were ads such as godaddy.com and they were very driven only to men and made the women out to be objects. I never really noticed it as much before we focused on it in class.

    ReplyDelete